The final minimum wage increase from the Fair Work Commission’s Annual Wage Review has just come into effect. If you’re an employer, it’s a good time to review the allowances and hourly rates you are paying your staff.
Are you paying the correct award wage?
Wage and allowance increases for Group 3 Awards have just come into effect, starting from February 1, 2021. The award wage and expense-related allowances apply to all Group 3 Awards, so if you’re an employer you will need to review these to ensure that you are paying your staff the correct rate.
Which awards fall under the Group 3 category?
A large number of industries will be impacted by these changes. Many of these industry sectors have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, including those listed below:
- Amusement, Events and Recreation Award 2020
- Alpine Resorts Award 2020
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010
- Fitness Industry Award 2010
- Horse and Greyhound Training Award 2020
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020
- Live Performance Award 2010
- Racing Clubs Events Award 2010
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award 2020
- Restaurant Industry Award 2020
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010
- Sporting Organisations Award 2020
- Travelling Shows Award 2020
- Wine Industry Award 2010
However, this is not an exhaustive list of Group 3 Awards, and employers should visit the Fair Work website to review their current award wage payments.
To view the full list on the Fair Work website, go to Determinations.
My workers are employed through enterprise or individual agreements. Does this apply to me?
Yes. Workers employed through enterprise agreements or individual agreements made with their employer are also subject to the minimum wage, or the minimum award rate where an award would otherwise apply. Any pay calculations in the agreement must reflect at least the same pay increase as the minimum wage increase.
Applying the new Group 3 awards
This is the final round of minimum wage increases that were announced in the Annual Wage Review 2019-20, and are effective from the start of the first full pay period on or after 01 February 2021.
If you need further advice, please contact our team and we’ll be happy to walk you through the new Group 3 award increases.